Aug 31, 2021
Rheumatic fever is a serious illness. It often starts with a sore throat. Without treatment, some sore throats can cause rheumatic fever which can lead to heart damage.
Key points about rheumatic fever
- Rheumatic fever is a serious illness.
- It often starts with a sore throat caused by strep bacteria.
- Without treatment, strep throat can cause rheumatic fever.
- Rheumatic fever can damage your heart – this is called rheumatic heart disease.
- It's very important that your child does not get rheumatic fever if they have already had it.
- The best way to stop your child having another attack of rheumatic fever is to make sure they have their regular penicillin injections on time.